what I know, what I’ve made, and where I’ve made it
Creative Director, Graphic Designer, Communications Director and Team Leader with extensive experience in the management and production of creative projects for both print and digital media. Seeking opportunities to help lead a team of content creators as a creative director or communications director. Over a decade of experience providing creative solutions for non-profit organizations. Highly skilled in creating of assets for use across print and digital based advertising and communications. Certified technical trainer adept in conducting training courses on leading design software. Strong interpersonal skills with ability to collaborate and represent department in organizational meetings. Ability to manage, streamline, and teach creation of digital products including websites, apps and advertisements which improve communication efficiencies and significantly increase exposure according to organizational initiatives.
Branding & Graphics Specialist/Creative Director, Putnam City Baptist Church
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma | 2015 – Present
- Strategized communication approaches to allow our small team to multitask as much as possible, creating content for multiple platforms concurrently. These approaches have allowed the organization to hire specialists for the team.
- Developed a promotional strategy across platforms that, when implemented according to the steps, helped events meet registration and attendance goals.
- Strategized and produced social media pieces and campaigns. Increased social media engagement approximately 400% in 6 months by pivoting from a hard sell advertising approach to a soft sell “show, don’t tell” approach.
- Created consistently memorable visual solutions in a non-profit environment that helped tell a consistent story across various media (digital, video, and print).
- Expanded the capabilities and output level of the media team, helping establish a communications department. Weekly output at the beginning of my tenure was one short video of announcements along with a handful of graphics that appeared on monitors. Weekly output has increased to include 2-3 additional video pieces per week, the weekly bulletin, pastor’s sermon illustration graphics and animations, in-house web site creation and maintenance using WordPress and Divi, podcast production, email creation, social media content and management, event photography and videography, and occasional writing for staff members.
- Helped implement time and money saving messaging solutions such as digital kiosks that cut production time by at least 80% by eliminating the need for custom video slideshows.
- Mentored design interns in best practices for upcoming graphic designers
- Worked with volunteers to coordinate messaging to church members.
Director of Creative Development, Heritage Hall
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma | 2011 – 2015
- Directed creative development and marketing functions in a non-profit environment for print and digital designs including the Charger Call magazine, Inside the Hall back to school packet, fundraising initiatives, annual programs and the school website; increased digital work in the areas of web, mobile, video and social media.
- Created, designed and developed multiple avenues for increased exposure and accessibility including the Charger Call online magazine and the Heritage Hall iPhone app.
- Implemented processes and procedures to enhance the production process.
- Streamlined processes to reduce costs and increase production time; developed processes allowing for in-house creation of school directory; reduced technical issues for 3rd party vendors by increasing quality of projects.
- Worked directly with volunteers in fundraising and communication.
Owner, Brian Mays Creative/Play & Dream Studio
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma | 1998 – Present
- Provided visual solutions for graphic design, advertising, and marketing needs for contract clients. Clients include:
Inventronics (lighting company; sales brochures, trade show booth installations, presentation packets)
Oklahoma Watch (non-profit news organization; fund raising pieces, annual reports, web advertisements)
Mr. Mark’s Classroom (illustrated stage graphics for children-based events)
Harshmann Services (editor; book cover illustrations and designs)
Mended Little Hearts of Oklahoma (non-profit charitable organization; fundraising calendar)
- Trained professionals in how to implement their own creative solutions through the use of Adobe software.
- Presented creative training seminars and lessons around the Oklahoma City metro area.
Graphic Designer, OPUBCO Communications Group
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma | 1999 – 2011
- Managed design projects for multiple client websites and advertisements including production and update of print ads for the promotion of digital services.
- Created and implemented client and internal website designs, often from step one through completion.
- Updated both client and internal website content using a variety of methods, from static HTML to graphical edits to working with multiple content management systems.
- Increased productivity, creative processes and technical knowledge of the design staff by researching and implementing new techniques with software already in use.
- Coordinated job flow in the digital design department and created a culture of deadline oriented production.
- Provided continuing education to designers, sales executives and newsroom editors to transition from
print to web.
- Created graphics for print and digital news products, such as maps, charts, illustration, and digital page layouts.
- Generated new advertising revenue streams by introducing animation and video advertisements.
Adjunct Graphic Design Instructor, Francis Tuttle Technology Center
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma | 2011 – 2020
Conducted adult learning classes including InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Social Media, Digital Portfolios, After Effects, Google Apps, Introduction to Macintosh, Mac Apps 1, and 2, and HTML Email.
Adjunct Graphic Design Instructor, Oklahoma City Community College – Graphic Communication
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma | 2003 – 2006, 2011, 2015-2017
Provided instruction for classes including Publication Design, Creativity and Design, Applied Design, Intro to Mac, Intro to Multimedia, Web Design 2, Publication Design, InDesign 2, Flash 1, and Flash 2.
Adjunct Graphic Design Instructor, Southern Nazarene University – College of Art and Design
Bethany, Oklahoma | 2008 – 2011; 2017
Provided instruction for courses including Web Authoring with Dreamweaver, History of Graphic Design, and Computer Graphics Level 1.
Evaluated projects to prepare students for the design workforce.
Adjunct Graphic Design Instructor, University of Central Oklahoma – College of Arts, Media and Design
Edmond, Oklahoma | 2005 – 2008
Provided instruction for classes including Design Technology and Computer Graphics 2 (Adobe Photoshop). Created and evaluated projects to expand student design portfolios.
Bachelor of Fine Arts – Graphic Design, 1997
University of Central Oklahoma, Edmond, Oklahoma
Adobe Photoshop / Flash / Illustrator / InDesign / Dreamweaver / Premiere / After Effects / Podcast production / HTML and CSS to build websites / Mobile App Design / WordPress / Mac Environment
Comp-TIA CTT+ Certified Technical Trainer
AIGA (American Institute of Graphic Arts),
Board Member, 1999 – 2011
- Advisory Board Member, 2009 – 2011
- Vice-President, 2008 – 2009
- President, 2006 – 2008;
- Secretary, 2002 – 2003
First Lego League Robotics Coach – Holy Trinity Lutheran School, 2018-2021
Parent Volunteer – Holy Trinity Lutheran School
In-Store Art Lessons – Best of Books
IgniteOKC, Public Speaker, November 2014
Oklahoma City Community College, Graphic Communications, Advisory Board Member, 2003 – Present
“Beginning the Journey,” Deaconess Adoption Services, Public Speaker, 2014
Baptist Communication Association, Web Design Division Judge, January 2010
Baptist Communication Association, Regional Publication Design Judge, March 2010
Oklahoma City Metro Technology Center – Graphic Design, Advisory Board Member, 2002 – 2010
AIGA “20×2” program, Public Speaker, 2007, 2003, 2001
SkillsUSA, Web Design Competition Judge, February 2010, March 2005
Putnam City Schools, Career Mentor, 2003
Oklahoma City Metro Technology Center Advertising Competition, Judge, February 2003
Brelin Schubert – firstname.lastname@example.org – former Putnam City Baptist Church communications director
Dena Drabek – email@example.com – former Heritage Hall marketing contractor; former Oklahoma Watch CFO
Christina Shadid – firstname.lastname@example.org – former Putnam City Baptist Church graphic designer
Mark Jones – email@example.com – owner, Mr. Mark’s Classroom
Scott Horton – firstname.lastname@example.org – former OPUBCO Communications Group creative director
Phone numbers for references can be provided on request.