About Brian Mays (“Suit & Tie” variant)
Creative Director • Designer • Teacher • Writer
Who is Brian Mays?
Creative Director. Designer. Artist. Writer.
I have over 25 years of experience telling stories across various digital and print platforms. Translating work from one platform into another in an efficient manner is a chief strength. I’m a creative Swiss Army knife who isn’t afraid to jump in on a project even if I’m not fully versed in the technology or process. In terms of projects, jumping off a cliff and learning to build wings on the way down is one of my favorite things to do! But knowing when to defer to a collaborator with more expertise who may get things done more quickly is something I have learned and implemented more over the past decade.
Collaborator. Team Builder. Mentor. Speaker.
I’ve brought together productive creative teams from wide ranging backgrounds at various organizations to help achieve unified goals. Mentoring individuals in positions such as graphic designer, production artist, web developer, and video designer is one of my professional missions. I’ve made mistakes, and I gladly pass along those lesson to colleagues so they don’t have to do quite as much learning under fire. I also help teams exceed the limitations of budget, time and experience by developing efficient processes and procedures alongside team members.
Coach. Certified Technical Trainer. Teacher.
I love teaching what I do. I’m a certified technical trainer and teacher adept in conducting training courses on leading design software and processes. I’ve also coached for both creative and non creative positions. My trainings have ranged in size from individual to large corporate sessions.
What are my Qualifications?
(This is the lengthy resume portion that covers 25 years of professional creative storytelling experience.)
Media Assistant/Graphic Designer/Creative Director/Web Specialist, Putnam City Baptist Church
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma | 2015 – Present
- Created visual solutions that helped tell a consistent story across various media (digital, video, and print).
- Expanded the capabilities and output level of the media team, helping establish a communications department. Weekly output at the beginning of my tenure was one short video of announcements along with a handful of graphics that appeared on monitors. Weekly output has increased to include 2-3 additional video pieces per week, the weekly bulletin, pastor’s sermon illustration graphics and animations, in-house web site creation and maintenance, podcast production, social media content and management, event photography and videography, and occasional writing for staff members.
- Helped implement time and money saving messaging solutions such as digital kiosks that cut production time by at least 80% by eliminating the need for custom video slideshows.
- Strategized communication approaches to allow our small team to multitask as much as possible, creating content for multiple platforms concurrently.
- Mentored design interns in best practices for upcoming graphic designers
- Worked with volunteers to coordinate messaging to church members.
Director of Creative Development, Heritage Hall
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma | 2011 – 2015
- Directed creative development functions for print and digital designs including the Charger Call, Inside the Hall, annual programs and the school website; increased digital work in the areas of web, mobile, video and social media.
- Created, designed and developed multiple avenues for increased exposure and accessibility including the Charger Call online magazine and the Heritage Hall iPhone app.
- Implemented processes and procedures to enhance the production process.
- Streamlined processes to reduce company cost and increase production time; developed processes allowing for in-house creation for school directory; reduced technical issues for 3rd party vendors by increasing quality of projects.
Graphic Designer, OPUBCO Communications Group Oklahoma City, Oklahoma | 1999 – 2011
- Managed design projects for multiple client websites and advertisements including production and update of print ads for the promotion of digital services.
- Created and implemented client and internal website designs, often from step one through completion.
- Updated both client and internal website content using a variety of methods, from static HTML to graphical edits to working with multiple content management systems.
- Increased productivity, creative processes and technical knowledge of the design staff by researching and implementing new techniques with software already in use.
- Coordinated job flow in the digital design department and created a culture of deadline oriented production.
- Provided continuing education to designers, sales executives and newsroom editors to transition from print to web
- Created graphics for print and digital news products, such as maps, charts, illustration, and digital page layouts.
- Generated new advertising revenue streams by introducing animation and video advertisements.
Adjunct Graphic Design Instructor, Francis Tuttle Technology Center Oklahoma City, Oklahoma | 2011 – 2020
- Conduct adult learning classes including InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Social Media, Digital Portfolios, After Effects, Google Apps, Introduction to Macintosh, Mac Apps 1, and 2, and HTML Email.
Adjunct Graphic Design Instructor, Oklahoma City Community College – Graphic Communication
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma | 2003 – 2006, 2011, 2015-2017
- Provided instruction for classes including Publication Design, Creativity and Design, Applied Design, Intro to Mac, Intro to Multimedia, Web Design 2, Publication Design, InDesign 2, Flash 1, and Flash 2.
Adjunct Graphic Design Instructor, Southern Nazarene University – College of Art and Design Bethany, Oklahoma | 2008 – 2011; 2017
- Provided instruction for courses including Web Authoring with Dreamweaver, History of Graphic Design, and Computer Graphics Level 1.
- Evaluated projects to prepare students for the design workforce.
Adjunct Graphic Design Instructor, University of Central Oklahoma – College of Arts, Media and Design
Edmond, Oklahoma | 2005 – 2008
- Provided instruction for classes including Design Technology and Computer Graphics 2 (Adobe Photoshop).
- Created and evaluated projects to expand student design portfolios.
Owner, Brian Mays Creative/Play & Dream Studio
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma | 1998 – Present
- Provided visual solutions for graphic design, advertising, and marketing needs for contract clients.
- Trained professionals in how to implement their own creative solutions through the use of Adobe software.
- Presented creative training seminars and lessons around the Oklahoma City metro area.
Bachelor of Fine Arts – Graphic Design, 1997
University of Central Oklahoma, Edmond, Oklahoma
Adobe Photoshop / Flash / Illustrator / InDesign / Dreamweaver / Premiere / After Effects / Podcast production / HTML and CSS to build websites / Mobile App Design / WordPress / Mac Environment
Comp-TIA CTT+ Certified Technical Trainer
AIGA (American Institute of Graphic Arts), Board Member, 1999 – 2011
Advisory Board Member, 2009 – 2011; Vice-President, 2008 – 2009
President, 2006 – 2008; Secretary, 2002 – 2003
- First Lego League Robotics Coach – Holy Trinity Lutheran School, 2018-2021
- Parent Volunteer – Holy Trinity Lutheran School
- In-Store Art Lessons – Best of Books
- Back to School presenter – Adobe software and integration – Francis Tuttle, 2017-2018
- IgniteOKC, Public Speaker, November 2014
- Oklahoma City Community College, Graphic Communications, Advisory Board Member, 2003 – Present
- “Beginning the Journey,” Deaconess Adoption Services, Public Speaker, 2014
- Baptist Communication Association, Web Design Division Judge, January 2010
- Baptist Communication Association, Regional Publication Design Judge, March 2010
- Oklahoma City Metro Technology Center – Graphic Design, Advisory Board Member, 2002 – 2010
- AIGA “20×2” program, Public Speaker, 2007, 2003, 2001
- SkillsUSA, Web Design Competition Judge, February 2010, March 2005
- Putnam City Schools, Career Mentor, 2003
- Oklahoma City Metro Technology Center Advertising Competition, Judge, February 2003
Would You Like to Know More?
I will happily provide references upon request. You can reach me at 405.401.0257 or by email on my Contact Page to be connected with them.